Copyright Notice.

I assert my rights as the creator of the Art featured on this blog and cordially advise you that my work and any images portraying my work is copyright ©.


Tuesday 9 July 2013

Music the "Muse" to boost Creativity.

The most important thing for me is capturing that moment and the thought that inspires my work in a tangible form, so that I can effectively play it back when I need it. I use sketches of course but also Mind Maps taught to me by my friend Tony Buzan (one of the most innovative thinkers on the planet). You can find out all about Tony's Mind Map technique here

But these alone are not enough for me. I need another dimension to lock in the image.

So how do I do it?

It's going to sound simple but it was really hard to learn (for me) but the results are amazing; don't keep grumbling about getting on with it please . . . .

When an image appears unbidden for me to apply to canvas I sketch it up roughly and quickly, and then tag it with music. I find a song or tune from my collection of music that I think suits the image and I play it LOUD (headphones are best) over and over while I think about the image and play with the sketch both mentally and on the paper. I do this a couple of times a day for a few days. Then in my work book I redraw the image and add the title of the music I used (and where to find it). And forget about it until I'm ready.

This really comes into it's own when I start work on the canvas. I play the music for that piece over and over while I'm preparing and the Muse arrives complete with the vivid image in fine detail.

It took a lot of practice to start with and single minded concentration that was almost meditation but now it's easy and thoroughly enjoyable. It's now an integral part of my creative process.

How did I come across this?

Actually I worked it out for myself.

Early on in my illness my clinicians used harmonies to help my speech and I remembered something about music helping certain types of thought. So I thought "I'll try tagging or imprinting my mental images with music" so that it makes recall easier.

I'm also able to push my mood into the right place ready to be creative with music as well now, using the same technique.

There is probably some clever neuroscience behind all this; but it works for me and I recommend it to you.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Best wishes


Mike.



No comments:

Post a Comment